Nothing feels better than wrapping yourself up in a cozy towel after you get out of the tub or shower. If your towel is feeling rough or isn't drying you off quickly, chances are it's time for an upgrade. The problem is there are so many bath towels to choose from at a wide range of price points, so it's not exactly easy to shop for bath towels, especially when you're unsure of how they'll hold up over time.
When it comes to evaluating the quality of towels, we need to consider several factors. Simply put, the best towel is that which fits your purpose.
This is a crucial part while determining the quality of the towel.
- Organic Cotton Bath Towels – Organic cotton bath towels are usually constructed using cotton that has not been contaminated with pesticides or fertilizers. The cotton is grown in the smallest possible carbon footprint. They are grown using eco-friendly methods that do not harm the environment in any way at all. They are extremely soft and are durable. Also, the use of different colors other than white gives them a fine finish.
- Bamboo Bath Towels – Similar to the organic cotton towels, bamboo bath towels are also crafted by using 100% bamboo. However, some bath manufacturers use a blend of cotton and bamboo to give you one of the best and quality towels in the industry. Infused with vibrant shades bamboo towels surely look very appealing, however, their popularity has much to do with the number of qualities they offer. From being lush to being color-fast, supple to absorbent, bamboo towels offer everything required. Also, they are anti-bacterial owing to their growth in a pest-free environment.
- Microfiber Bath Towels – Though they are comparatively new in the market, microfiber towels have gained much attention in the last few decades. They are tailored using a blend of fabrics that include polyester and polyamide in an 80 to 20 ratio. They are good at wicking moisture along with qualities like grabbing dust, dirt, and oil very easily. These bath towels come in a variety of shades as well that range from subtle hues to vibrant tones.
The weight of a towel is measured by the GSM (Grams per Square Metre). This number refers to the density of the towel. High-quality cotton towels are generally heavier and are more absorbent.
Towels can vary anywhere between 300 GSM and 900 GSM. The lower the number, the lighter and thinner the towel. For instance:
- 300-400 GSM – In this weight, as noted, the towels are lighter and thinner. But, depending on its use, you might want a lower GSM for the gym towel or a kitchen towel. A lightweight, quicker-drying beach towel might be around 350 GSM, for instance.
- 400-600 GSM – This is a medium weight. This weight is great for beach towels, bath towels, guest towels, and so forth. Each consecutive gram weight –400, 500, 600– gets a little heavier, and a little more absorbent.
- 600-900 GSM – This is a premium, luxury weight. The towel will be denser, heavier, more absorbent. It will probably take a little longer to dry.
Which GSM Weight is Right For Me?
There are no rights or wrongs here; put seven people in a room, and you will get seven different answers. It is more a matter of personal taste and lifestyle.
Our Diamond Towels are 560 GSM. Single loop cotton, they offer good absorbency and have a slightly shaggier feel to them. This shaggier finish offers a more invigorating experience when drying off. They also dry a little quicker.
More Towel Shopping Tips:
- Instead of buying several towels individually, opt for bath towel sets. Not only will you get towels of various sizes together but are more affordable.
- Buy white towels that have double turned edges. Such towels have the hems reinforced with double layers of stitching that accounts for their durability.
- How to stop towels from shedding fluff? Wash them before use! Sometimes there are loose fibers leftover from the production process, but laundering the towels a few times should help get rid of them. Pro tip: Washing them also makes them more absorbent because it gets rid of leftover finishes from production.